Monday, August 2, 2010

The Runaways

The Runaways


The Runaways is a biopic of the first all-girl rock band to achieve mainstream success in the 1970's. It tells the story of Cherie Currie and Joan Jett as they contend with their sleazy manager, problems with drugs, and struggles with fame at such a young age. I have to admit I didn't have much interest in initially viewing this film. I thought it to be a movie that would not capture my attention, but i will admit when i am wrong. This film is extremely well done from top to bottom.

The performances in this film are fantastic. Dakota Fanning plays Cherie Currie and continues to show great ability for someone who is just 16-years-old. She has given more solid performances before being able to drive than many actresses will be able to give in their lifetimes. Kristen Stewart plays Joan Jett. I was blow away by her portrayal. I don't know if ever other role she has had before has simply prevented her from being able to act, but she is great in this film. I hope she keeps it up. The real stand out though is Michael Shannon as Kim Fowley, the Runaways sleazy manager.

It's kind of ironic that this movie is as edgy as it is. This movie earns its R rating with teens in very adult situations associated with the sex and drugs lifestyle of rock and roll. This is ironic because the lead actress in this movie can't even watch it in the theater unless accompanied by an adult. The Runaways is definitely worth a viewing. It illustrates the music industry better than any film I have seen before and hopefully is the start of Kristen Stewart finally becoming a real actress.

My rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment